Saturday, March 10, 2012

Foodie Fridays: Pigging out in Penang... and bentos again!


We're currently back in Penang visiting the hubby's family... and as every trip back there entails, both hubby and I have been eating and eating (Unfortunately Junior J doesn't seem to take too well to the local food, especially thanks to the MSG, so I'm going to start cooking for him again.  Otherwise he can't seem to nap!).  Just yesterday I remarked to the hubby that we've yet to eat certain favorites (chendol, laksa, muah chee and rojak), and said that we should eat them across the next few days... and he promptly went and bought ALL of those when he went out grocery shopping!  I didn't take any pictures though, but everything was so yummy!

And on a side point... here's more bentos done last week:

To infinity and beyond! 

The dark soup is watercress soup with luo han guo, along with quails eggs and cherry tomatoes. 
To colour the rice, I steamed pumpkin and pureed it, and mixed it into the rice with seaweed!

Vehicle pasta in creamy corn soup, edamame, cherry tomatoes, dragonfruit,
scrambled eggs and button mushrooms!

We all had baby kailan, rice and foil-wrapped herbal chicken (not shown).

That night I was rushing, so I didn't have time to put everything in a box and prettify it!
This was spinach with ikan bilis, and braised chicken with carrots and mushrooms.

As you can see, I'm currently cooking my way through the Noob Cook website.  I love how simple the recipes are... compared to say, Kylie Kwong's recipes, which seem to call for 3 different types of vinegar!

Ok, gotta run, will be back later to share another scrap project (Yes, I'm still scrapping.  The fingers just can't stop!)!  Have a blessed weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks great!!

    Hope you have a good time in Penang! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo how I missed Penang food. Today we tapau from Katong area.. but not even close to the real stuff! Yea, my kids couldn't get used to the 'savoury' food either. We had to resort to cooking for them when we the parents eat the local stuff, while they eat home cook stuff.. Anyway hope you have a great time in Pg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr N Eple-Adei: We did have quite a blessed time there! :) At least the boys got to spend time with their grandparents and other relatives...

    Michelle: Thanks! :) Yes, its the same for us, I end up cooking for Junior J, for him its the MSG that's the problem cos he doesn't nap!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...